Burning russula (Russula emetica)Systematics:
- Department: Basidiomycota (Basidiomycetes)
- Subdivision: Agaricomycotina (Agaricomycetes)
- Class: Agaricomycetes (Agaricomycetes)
- Subclass: Incertae sedis (undefined)
- Order: Russulales
- Family: Russulaceae (Russula)
- Genus: Russula (Russula)
- Species: Russula emetica (Scorching russula)
- Other names for the mushroom:
- Russula caustic
- Russula vomit
- Russula nauseous
The hat is at first convex, then more and more outstretched, and at the end it is depressed and bumpy. Its edges are ribbed in mature mushrooms. The easily peeled skin is smooth, shiny and sticky in wet weather.
The color of the cap varies from bright red to light pink with white or buffy depigmented spots of various sizes. The white leg turns yellow over time, especially in the lower part. White plates have greenish-yellow shades, then turn yellow.
The stem is dense, strong, cylindrical (its base is sometimes thickened, sometimes narrowed), covered with a fine network of wrinkles.
The plates of the stinging russula are not very frequent, often bifurcated, very wide and weakly attached to the stem. The pulp is spongy and damp, with a light fruity odor and a spicy peppery taste.
The spores are colorless, with an amyloid prickly and partially reticulate ornamentation, they look like short ellipses, 9-11 x 8-9 microns in size.
Spore powder is white.
The pulp is spongy and damp, with a light fruity odor and a spicy peppery taste. The flesh may turn reddish or pinkish over time.
Scorching russula is quite often found on peat bogs and in the damp and swampy places of deciduous (less often coniferous) forests, in mountainous terrain. It is found in damp deciduous and coniferous forests, along the edge of sphagnum bogs, in bogs with pine trees, and even on peat and peaty soil.
Summer - autumn (July - October).
The fiery russula can be confused with the small red variety that is also inedible because of the bitter taste of Russula fragilis.
Conditionally edible mushroom, 4 categories. It is used only salty, fresh has a burning taste, therefore it was previously considered poisonous in the literature. According to foreign experts, it is weakly poisonous, causes disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. There is also information about the presence of muscarine in it. Some mushroom pickers use it in pickles after twenty minutes of boiling and washing. It darkens slightly in salt. When pickling russula, it is recommended to boil the russules twice (because of bitterness) and drain the first broth.