Hypomyces lactic acid (Hypomyces lactifluorum)Systematics:
- Department: Ascomycota (Ascomycetes)
- Subdivision: Pezizomycotina (Pesizomycotins)
- Class: Sordariomycetes (Sordariomycetes)
- Subclass: Hypocreomycetidae
- Order: Hypocreales
- Family: Hypocreaceae
- Genus: Hypomyces (Hypomyces)
- Species: Hypomyces lactifluorum (Hypomyces lactic acid)
Hypomyces milky (or lobster mushroom ) belongs to the Hypocrein family, the Ascomycetes department.
There is an interesting English synonym for the name of the mushrooms affected by it - lobster mushrooms.
Hypomyces lactic acid is a mold that grows on the fruiting bodies of other fungi.
At first, a young mushroom is a sterile plaque, which has a bright red-orange color, on which subsequently flask-shaped fruiting bodies are formed - perithecia, distinguishable in a magnifying glass. The taste of the mushroom is soft or slightly spicy (in the event that the host mushroom is with spicy milky juice). As for the smell, it is mushroom at first, and then begins to resemble the smell of shellfish.
The spores of the fungus are fusiform, warty, white in mass.
Hypomyces lactic acid parasitizes on various types of fungi, in particular on russula and lactarius, for example, on a load of pepper.
The plates of the fungus affected by hypomycesis lactic acid stop the owl from further development and the formation of spores.
Hypomyces milky is widespread mainly in North America. It grows after rainy weather, it grows for a relatively short period of time.
Hypomyces lactic acid, or lobster mushroom, is an edible mushroom and is popular where it grows. Its second name is associated not only with its characteristic aroma, but also with the fact that it resembles boiled lobster in color. This mushroom tastes like seafood too.
Due to the fact that hypomyces grows on pungent milklings, it can largely neutralize their pungent taste, and they, in turn, become quite edible.