False white mushroom (Tylopilus felleus)Systematics:
- Department: Basidiomycota (Basidiomycetes)
- Subdivision: Agaricomycotina (Agaricomycetes)
- Class: Agaricomycetes (Agaricomycetes)
- Subclass: Agaricomycetidae (Agaricomycetes)
- Order: Boletales
- Family: Boletaceae
- Genus: Tylopilus (Tilopil)
- Species: Tylopilus felleus (False white mushroom)
- Other names for the mushroom:
- Gall mushroom
False white mushroom
False white mushroom (Latin Tylopilus felleus ) is a tubular mushroom of the Tilopil genus (Latin Tylopilus) of the Boletaceae family (Latin Boletaceae), inedible because of its bitter taste.
The cap is up to 10 cm in ∅, convex , flat- convex by old age , smooth, dry, brownish or brownish.
The pulp is white , thick, soft, pinkish on the cut, odorless, the taste is very bitter. The tubular layer is white at first,
then a dingy pink.
Spore powder pink. Spores are fusiform, smooth.
Leg up to 7 cm in length, from 1 to 3 cm ∅, swollen, creamy ocher, with a dark brown mesh pattern.
False white mushroom grows in coniferous forests, mainly on sandy soil, rarely and abundantly from July to October.
False white mushroom is inedible due to its bitter taste. Outwardly similar to the boletus. When cooking, the bitterness of this mushroom does not disappear, but, on the contrary, intensifies. Some mushroom pickers soak the False White Mushroom in salt water to get rid of the bitterness, then cook it.
Scientists agree that eating gall fungus is impossible only because of its unpleasant taste.
Foreign colleagues refute this theory. In the pulp of the gall fungus, toxic substances are released, which are quickly absorbed into the human blood with any, even tactile contact. These substances penetrate the liver cells, where they show their destructive effects.
On the first day after the "test on the tongue" while collecting this mushroom, a person may feel slight dizziness and weakness. In the future, all symptoms disappear. The first signs appear after a few weeks.
Problems with the separation of bile begin. The liver is impaired. At high concentrations of the ingress of toxins, cirrhosis of the liver may develop.
Thus, you yourself can draw the correct conclusion about whether the False White Mushroom can be eaten and whether it is edible for humans. One has only to think about the fact that even forest animals, insects and worms do not try to feast on the attractive pulp of this representative of the mushroom kingdom.
A young false porcini mushroom with unpainted pores can be confused with a porcini mushroom and other boletus mushrooms (boletus reticulum, boletus boletus bronze), sometimes it is confused with boletus mushrooms. It differs from boletus in the absence of scales on the stem, from boletus with a dark mesh (in boletus, the mesh is lighter than the main color of the leg).
A mushroom containing specific bitterness has been proposed as a choleretic agent.